Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I didn't think it would happen this soon...

I take Cody to karate lessons four days a week.  Each day, I insist that I walk him to the door.  I like to make sure his teacher is there.  Harmless, right?!  Cody thinks NOT.  He asked me to let him walk in by himself.  I agreed under one condition...He needs to go to the door, look inside and if he sees his teacher he should give me a thumbs up and then I know I can leave.  If he doesn't see his teacher, he is supposed to come back to the vehicle.  Simple.  Harmless.  A win-win...so I thought.  A few days into this new routine Cody tells me that he is not going to do the thumbs up anymore.  He says, "Mom, if I go inside it means that my teacher is there.  I am not going to give you a thumbs up anymore." 
So, this is what it has come to.  My son is no longer the little boy I see.  He is growing up.  Sniff, Sniff.
I think this should have been in the fine print of the karate manual.  *This class may create your child to be independent and have self-confidence, which would make them able to walk themselves into class.* 
Secretly, I am so proud of him I can hardly stand it.  In just a few months he has changed from a child that wouldn't stand up for himself to a little man that is willing and able to assert himself regardless of the situation.  
What a gift Karate has been to him.  Way to go, Code-Man!! 

No comments: