Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cody's Fan Club

Cody came home from school last week and said that he has something to tell me.  Me being me I immediately think the worst.  And, it wasn't.  It's a recess story.  It was a rainy day so recess was inside.  Half of the gym was for kick ball and the other half was basketball.  Cody was playing basketball with some of his friends.

He said, "Mom, while we were playing basketball some of the girls in the class were cheering."  I'm thinking, so what.  Girls will be girls.  I expressed as much to Cody and he wasn't pleased.  He said, "No, mom.  You don't understand.  They were cheering for me.  Chanting my name over and over."

I start to chuckle and this only makes him more disgusted at me.  I try to diffuse his irritation with me by saying well that's nice, I'm sure the other boys don't care that the girls are chanting their names, Cody.  Why does it bother you so much?
He says, "Because mom, the girls weren't cheering for anyone else. Only me.  And, there was 7 of them mom.  And, they wouldn't stop."

I tried as best I could not to burst out laughing.  I know Cody and he is very shy.  He mirrors his parents in that he loves to be a wall flower.  The less that someone notices him, the better.   Knowing that this distaste for girls will not continue for many more years, I told Cody that maybe someday he won't think it's so stupid for girls to be cheering for him.

He looked at me like I had two heads and I think I actually did a small fist pump and thought,


Yep, he's still my little man!


1 comment:

Kelly Bode said...

Oh, this made me smile. I can so see the face of disgust on him.