Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Remember

It almost seems unreal that 9 years have past since the day our country changed forever.  We all get busy in our day to day lives and the next thing you know another year has gone.  In our home, we keep the soldiers and their families close to our hearts and always in our prayers, not just today.

But, for today I recall and relive the moment I first heard of this terrible event.  I was working at the retirement center in Omaha.  It was shortly after I arrived at work and someone had told us to turn the t.v. on in the office.  I can't really explain my fear as soon as we saw what had happened.  No one said anything.  We just stood there staring.  The first tower went down and then the second.  Still nobody said anything.  There were tears.  And silence.

All I remember thinking was that I needed to call Chad.  And, I need to call my mom.  I felt like I needed to be close to them, or just to hear their voice, something.  So I did.  I called Chad and he hadn't heard anything about it yet.  So, he turned on the radio at his work and we just sat on the phone together.  Saying nothing.  What do you say in a moment like that?  I called my mom too.  Just to hear her voice.  Not a lot of talking, but I felt better just having her on the other end of the line.

As the days, weeks and months passed we have kept those images in our head, but more so in our heart.  Those families had no idea that on that day their lives would forever be changed.  We have changed too.  For the better, I hope.

We spent a lot of time together.   We focused on what was important to us.  Our family, our friends and each other.  Apparently, Chad and I were spending plenty of time together...I was pregnant 2 months later.  
A baby.  In a world of uncertainty and fear it seemed like not such a good plan, but it was.  A symbol that life does go on.  We celebrate a new day, a new life.

We move on. 



But not without remembering.  


No comments: