Monday, May 24, 2010

Home is where your heart is.

How long has it been?  Almost 4 months since we moved to Missouri.  A moment in time that I do not wish to re-live.  Our world turned upside down.  Our kids and I moving away from a home that we had known our entire lives.  Nebraska.  Born and raised.  That was it.  Why leave?  A lot of our family is there.  Our life was wrapped up in this one place.  It was just...well, home!  

Then, life happened.  I'm not sure where I came to believe that life is all sunshine and lollipops.  But, during those difficult months leading up to our move, it was anything but.  A lot of tears, questions that wouldn't be answered and sleepless nights.  But, most of all, so many unknowns.  And, if you know me, unknowns are not something I enjoy.  I am a planner.  Months ahead.  I want scenarios & solutions with each.  

Slowly, but surely the answers and plans began to fall into place.  Chad started his job.  The house went on the market.  The movers came.  Our stuff was packed and moved to Missouri.  Then it was the kids and I that followed.  The kids began at their new school and life was back to a semi-normal state.  Just one small difference...We're not in Nebraska anymore.  

The first month was actually okay.  We were so busy just trying to get settled that we didn't have time to think about what had just happened.  An adventure.  Month number two was my least favorite.  The unpacking was done and it was starting to sink in.  A sad month.  The third month was starting to show signs of normalcy.  Kids sporting events, work, school and normal daily to-do's.  A busy month.  And now, we are almost done with our fourth month here.  A month of day trips around Missouri, approaching summer vacation for the kids, and just plain happy days...like before!  A happy month!!

I'm not for sure how I got here, but I'm happy.  I have become very fond of our new town.  A small, simple way of life.  Different than Nebraska, absolutely.  But not worse.  Just different.  I am trying to embrace life's lessons and hoping our kids embrace them too.  We'll enjoy the opportunities to experience life together, wherever that may be.  

1 comment:

Angie said...

Yay.... I am so glad to hear that it has been a happy month! Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about in this post. I've lived EXACTLY what you have - leaving the only place you've ever called HOME and going some place where you know no one, there's no family and no "comfort zone" to be found. But it does happen... slowly, but surely it does happen. Like you said, it's not "home", it's different, not bad, just different.

And the viewpoint that you note at the end - experiencing opportunities and new adventures together - that's the best thing about being some place new... you get to see things and do things that you probably would never do otherwise. Enjoy the time where you are, make the most of it, and call on those around you (cough, cough.... The Heck's) to pass those days away. We're up for adventures anytime. ;o)